A real cowboy is always on the hunt and after skinning buffalo and criminals it's time for something more relaxing like fishing. Legendary Red Dead Redemption 2 fish will come out of every river and lake, shaving even the most skilled fisherman. So if you want to find and fish the 14 legendary fish hidden in the game, with this guide we'll teach you how to become a new Sampei from the Far West!
Red Dead Redemption 2 Legendary Fish: What are they and what are they for?
Legendary fish are... fish! Real fish that only wallow in certain locations in the game. They are the same as normal fish but bigger and more elusive. Catching them will be like finding a collectible useful to complete 100% of the game, to fill the Compendium and complete Jeremy Gill's Unknown "A Fisher of Fish" mission. You'll also be able to unlock the "Was Big So!" goal trophy by catching a 16-pound (7.3kg) fish.
Red Dead Redemption 2 Legendary Fish: Fishing Guide and Special Bait
Before you can catch the legendary fish you will need special bait. There is only one bait shop in the whole game and you can find its location on the map below. You will need to buy 3 different types of bait, the only ones with which you can catch the legendary fish:
- Special Bait Lake Recall $20
- Special Bait Swamp Recall $20
- Special Bait River Call $20
Now, how do you fish in Red Dead Redemption 2 ? Just get to a place with water, choose the fishing rod from the weapons wheel and select the appropriate bait at the bottom of the wheel. Then throw the line into the water only where you see small waves, i.e. where there are more fish. If after one minute no fish have taken the bait, repeat the operation. When a fish takes the bait, slowly press R2/RT to rewind the line until it is caught.
Red Dead Redemption 2 How to start fishing legendary fish?
Go to the location on our map to talk to Jeremy Gill who will provide the map of the legendary fish. This is not very accurate, which is why you can find the exact location of all 14 legendary fish on Red Dead Redemption 2 the map below. Just remember that the larger fish should be put on the horse and sent to the man via the post office. The smaller ones can also be carried by hand.
Red Dead Redemption 2 Location of the 14 legendary fish
In the map below you can find all the information needed to catch the legendary fish of Red Dead Redemption 2 , in the list below the map you can also find the bait you need to catch each fish:
- Legendary rainbow trout - Special lure of the river.
- Legendary pole fish - Special lure of the Lake.
- Legendary Muskie - Special lure of the River.
- Legendary Lepisosteus - Special lure of the Swamp.
- Legendary Nebula Catfish - Special lure of the River.
- Legendary Big Sturgeon - Special lure of the river.
- Legendary Bluegill - Special lure of the Lake.
- Legendary North American Pike - Special lure of the River.
- Legendary red salmon - Special lure of the lake.
- Legendary Smallmouth Bass - Special lure of the Lake.
- Legendary Rock Boss - Special lure of the Lake.
- Legendary Redfin Pickerel - Special lure of the Lake.
- Legendary Largemouth Bass - Special lure of the Lake.
- Legendary Catfish: This fish is only unlocked after you take everyone else to Jeremy Gill. After a couple of days he will send you a letter and ask you to join him in New Austin on the Rio Bravo River. Here you'll have to catch the last fish and finish this mission.